Remitting Deductions/Contributions

You must remit the CPP contributions, EI premiums, and income tax deducted from your employees' remuneration along with your share of the CPP and EI on or before your remittance due dates.

The due dates will vary depending on the type of remitter that you are but generally if you are a new or a regular remitter, the CRA must receive your remittance by the 15th day of the month after the month you made the deductions. If you are eligible to be a quarterly remitter, the CRA must receive your deductions by the 15th day of the month immediately following the end of each quarter. The quarters end March 31, June 30, September 30 and December 31.

The deductions and contributions are remitted along with your remittance form. If you are a new employer or have never remitted contributions and deductions before, you must apply for the Business Number (BN) (if you don't already have one) and register for a payroll deduction account. New employers are considered to be regular remitters.

When you make your first payment, send a cheque or money order, payable to the Receiver General to any tax centre. Your BN should be on the back of the cheque or money order. Your first remittance should be accompanied with a letter stating:

  • you are a new remitter,
  • the period your remittance covers,
  • your complete employer name, address, and business phone number and
  • your BN.
Last modified: Monday, 21 August 2023, 11:42 AM